The town of Nursery began in 1883 when the world famous horticulturist and pomologist, Gilbert Onderdonk, bought a tract of land along a branch of the Texas & New Orleans Railroad about 10 miles north of Victoria, Texas to establish a nursery there. Nursery became the official name of the settlement in 1884 and the community was laid out and surveyed during the next few years.
During the next few decades, Nursery grew into a bustling community boasting two cotton gins, a train station, a couple of blacksmith shops, a doctor, barber shops, a gristmill, a hotel, a church, a pool hall, a dance hall, a post office, and many stores and restaurants. At its peak, the population of Nursery reached several hundred people.
The first public school was built in 1890 with another segregated school established in 1893. In 1916, our current site was purchased and a new campus was built. That structure, now fondly referred to as “Old Main,” continues to be in use today. Originally, the school housed grades first through high school. In the 1930’s, the Nursery School fielded such teams as a boy’s basketball team, a track team and a girl’s volleyball team. In the latter part of the 20th century, the high school classes were transferred to the larger Victoria and Cuero school systems.
2009 ushered in the completion of a new school building! The modern energy-efficient brick structure houses all the classrooms (Kindergarten through Fifth Grades), two resource rooms, the office, and administrative areas, teacher’s workroom, nurse’s station, ISS stations, and a full-service cafeteria. “Old Main” was renovated and now houses the library, computer lab, a resource/support staff room, and the School Board Conference Room. An older, well-kept metal building continues to serve as the gym and now also houses the Art/Music Studio.
The campus has an existing spacious playground on the front grounds which offers fun equipment, a walking track, and a slab for assorted activities. Our supportive, active PTO has donated most of the features on the playground. The community children and families are invited to enjoy this area for recreation and exercise. The new campus playground was created for the school children behind the new building. A covered pavilion joins the playground to provide a shaded area for outdoor instruction as well as fun activities during recess.
Nursery ISD remains committed to the quality education of the elementary grades that are serviced today on the Nursery campus.
**Click below to read an excerpt of School Board President Diana Rhodes’ Dedication Speech delivered during our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for our new building.